The following is a brief account of some of the important milestones in the history of the Association:
- The Association was founded in 1962.
- At the end of its first year of existence it had about 300 members, which then represented approximately 90% of the profession.
- The Association was granted a Certificate of Independence by the Trades Union Certification Officer in 1989.
- In 1993 the Association appointed a nationally elected, full-time General Secretary.
- In 1997 the Association purchased office premises at 26 The Avenue, Durham for use as its administrative headquarters.
- After many years as an affiliate association of the National Union of Teachers, the AEP became a totally independent trade union in 1998.
- A change to its Constitution and Rules in 2002 enabled the Association to offer membership to most educational psychologists who qualified and practised in Scotland.