The following is a brief account of some of the important milestones in the history of the Association of Educational Psychologists (AEP):
- The AEP was founded in 1962.
- At the end of its first year of existence it had about 300 members, which then represented approximately 90% of the profession.
- The AEP was granted a Certificate of Independence by the Trades Union Certification Officer in 1989.
- A nationally elected, full-time General Secretary took up post in 1993. The current General Secretary is Kate Fallon who was elected for her first term in 2009 and re-elected in 2013
- After many years as an affiliate association of the National Union of Teachers, the AEP became a totally independent trade union in 1998.
- A change to its Constitution and Rules in 2002 enabled the AEP to offer membership to most educational psychologists who qualified and practised in Scotland.